- History Matters Programs »
- Book Club
- Breaking Bread
- Panel Discussions
- New South for the New Southerner
- Schedule a Tour
- Outreach and Classroom Programs
- Professional Development
- Bring Your Students
- ¡NUEVOlution! Curriculum
- History ACTIVE
- The Latino New South: Surprising Facts
- The 7 Insights
- Long-Distance Collaboration
- Latino Demographics in the New South
- Conducting Listening Sessions
- - 10 Things to Know
History Matters Programs
To complement changing exhibitions, Levine Museum offers a series of public programs called History Matters.
History Matters programs bring together a cross-section of leaders, thinkers, and doers so that the wider public can learn about the complex histories that shape Charlotte and the U.S. Through our Book Club, Screen@Levine film presentations, Breaking Bread dinners, panel discussions, and more, these programs foster conversation around our community’s complicated history and poses the question, where do we go from here?
History Matters programs
- Provide historical context to contemporary issues by outlining local, regional and national policies that have shaped our world today;
- Explore the intersections between housing, education, and criminal justice policies that contribute to community distrust and systemic poverty;
- Encourage participants to explore the multiple perspectives around the recent unrest in Charlotte and to engage in dialogue that fosters empathy and builds understanding;
- Inspire participants to find ways they can become engaged to affect change.
History Matters programs are designed to encourage participant interaction and engagement. We extend our reach through the use of social media including use of the #KNOWCLT hashtag to broaden the conversation, and participants will be asked to share their comments aloud as well as through social media channels. Many of the conversations continue online in scheduled TweetChats.
History Matters programs aim to serve an audience that is diverse in age, gender, race/ethnicity and socio/economic status.